Friday 28 February 2014

Booja Booja Hazelnut Crunch Chocolate Truffles

I had heard of and seen Booja-Booja chocolate truffles before, the company priding themselves as being dairy, soya and gluten free as well as being all organic! Winning many awards, specifically their Hazelnut Crunch Chocolate Truffles (of which I have here) are winners of 2 Great Taste Awards! At a retail price of £6.99, they're slightly more expensive than your average truffles

Looking at the ingredients list I was quite impressed, with chocolate (cocoa solids min. 50%), hazelnuts, coconut oil and further cocoa powder dusting... all being organically grown ingredients. I liked knowing that these truffles were all handmade

When opening the gold plastic bag the truffles were encased in, I was instantly hit with a strong cocoa aroma. I thought the truffles looked cute, tightly packed together in their little casings. They looked very soft but when cutting through the truffle it was in-fact quite hard. There was a clear distinction between the chocolate coating and truffle filling

The texture was light and smooth, with a surprising buttery-like texture (this sounds like a contradiction)

I must admit, I wasn't overly impressed with the taste of these truffles... I think I set my expectations too high! The back packaging states to keep them in the fridge, so maybe I should have done that as it could have offered a completely different experience. But I don't think that would of changed the fact that I didn't taste the darker and richer chocolate that I was hoping for. Actually, the chocolate flavour was very weak... These truffles needs to be much more intense! 

For what these truffles are though - organic, dairy free etc. - I think they're great! I just missed the absence of a creamy texture and flavour. This is only my taste preference, and me not being a huge hazelnut lover, I should have tried a different flavour: the raspberry or ginger or banana one for example

I will praise Booja-Booja though, as I did enjoy these truffles but I think that's only because I knew of the ethics behind the company; taste alone I just wasn't wowed

No comments:

Post a Comment